POPULATION: 115,400 – Median Age: 42.3
A seaside community, small enough to have village charm yet large enough to be a world-class business environment. The weather is clement all year long . It supports economic development yet sets aside 40 percent of its land for open space. It has attracted an international theme park and has become the golf capital of the world. Carlsbad has a commuter train, great bus service and the busiest single-runway airport in the nation. A great place to live, with miles of beaches, a wide variety of housing options, terrific shopping, a world-class public library and excellent schools
Carlsbad has been ranked many times by many different publications as one of the best places to live and/or retire.
- 2020, National Geographic 25 Happiest Cities in the County, Carlsbad is #23
- 2019 Niche ranked Carlsbad as one of the Top 20 places to live in the country.
- 2019, TheTravel.com – 10 West Coast Cities That Need to be on Everyone’s Bucket List, Carlsbad is #9
- 2019, Wallethub.com – Best Ocean Beach Town to Live, Carlsbad is #4
- 2019, Homesnacks.net – Top Ten Suburbs in San Diego County, Carlsbad is #6
- 2018, Sunset Magazine – 20 Game Changing Places to Live, Carlsbad is #5
- 1999, Where to Retire Magazine rated Carlsbad among the best retirement towns in Southern California.
- 1997, Fortune Magazine rated Carlsbad as one of the nation’s five best places to retire.